Saturday, May 14, 2011

Speaker: Derek Sivers

I took 2 days off to attend a conference that was very much related to my part time job and passion. It’s all about The New Media 2011. There were about 30 overs speakers from different backgrounds and experiences. I went there with an open mind and absorb as much as I can. 

Some of the things that was shared by the speakers was really refreshing and motivating too. It does helped me to think differently for my next step in my career life. I have been constantly asking myself the same questions. It's been 5 years and do I still want to be here? What will be my next move? Where is it going to be? 

After listening to so many speakers, I learned the most from this particular speaker as the things he shared was very much practical and doable too. He is Derek Sivers. He was sharing about his company, CD Baby, how he grew the company and then sold for 22 millions. What really opened my eyes was, he was the only person so far that said 22 million was just too much! He gave that to a charity unit trust funds to help to fund other musicians. Some of key things I learned from his sharing was; Start with something different, simple or common sense. If people don’t like it, stop it and don’t persist. Always stick with what you know and understand. 

If you wish to know more about his sharing during the The New Media 2011 Conference, you can get the details from Yet Another Studio's Blog Post. For more info, visit his website or follow him on twitter


Screen shot taken from Derek's website

For the other speakers, the slides are available at here.

No comments:

Post a Comment